Thursday, September 22, 2011

Wang Blog Post #3


So I am and always have been interested in music.  I have played piano my whole life and it is a huge part of who I am.  Naturally I Google searched “music”.  Interestingly enough, my first website reply was Pandora.  Pandora is a music library in which you choose a song or artist and a playlist is formed based off the style of that particular search.  I use this website on a daily basis so I was pleased with the search.  However, my second website listed was Yahoo music, which actually has little to no information at all regarding music.  It is just a search engine that revolves mainly around musical entertainment.  The third search was something I had never come across before.  It was music.com, a website designed solely for music video searches.  When I had a buddy look up music on Google we had a few similar searches but not all.  His first and third websites were the same, but his second website was the ITunes homepage.  I asked him about his regular use of the computer and he confirmed that he used ITunes way more than I did.  This made sense as Google has made their searches more individualized since 2009.  Google’s changes can be good or bad depending on your specific use of the search engine.  If one is just looking around for personal interest than I believe the new search technique is extremely useful.  However, if research is being done from a non-bias standpoint, the personalization can get in the way of widespread information.

No comments:

Post a Comment